Thursday, June 14, 2012

Spanner in the works

Who would have thought that this build could get any more complicated it just did.

If you remember back to the original reason we sold our house and bought a block of land, to build the McDonald Jones Bronte House

When the application to change the building envelope was rejected I was devastated. In the end we decided rather than fighting the council and ending up being thousands more (than we already were) out of pocket, just to cut our loses and go and find another house.  So we did and we have paid another fee to Rawson.

Today, I sent an email to the council trying to tie up loose ends, formally requesting them to withdraw the application.  I also sent one to our surveyor with a few choice words saying that we had not heard from them in a month and we gathered they had washed their hands of the matter.   I quickly received a phone call back stating that they had been arguing with the council for the last month (would have been nice if they had let us know what they were doing) and that they thought they would have formal approval in the next couple of days.

I explained our current situation, that we had decided to go with another builder. I was asked to reconsider, if it wasn't for us, to think about the community as there were many people that wanted to change building envelopes.

So what do I do?  I asked Mat, do we go for our original house that we fell in love with or do we go with the new house? 

We went with the new house. Yes it is going to cost us about $40,000 more, but it is a bigger house and will fit better on the block. 

So today the s.96 application was formally withdrawn. Goodbye Bronte Executive Grande.

No comments:

Post a Comment